Competition from domestic players is stiffening in China’s fast-growing in-vitro diagnostics (IVD) market. The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) expects China’s IVD market to expand by more than 10% each year from 2017-2022. Today, 4 out of 10 of the biggest IVD players in China are domestic companies. The fastest-growing IVD companies across the four major IVD market segments are all Chinese companies. Knowing your competition in China is becoming increasingly important to stay ahead.
China’s >US$9bn IVD market: Growth trends and headwinds
China is Asia Pacific’s largest IVD market – making up more than half of the region’s total market.
Demographic patterns, market dynamics are shaping up the fastest-growing areas in different IVD market segments
- Strong clinical needs are driving the growth of immunodiagnostics, which make up more than half of China’s centralised diagnostics (CDx) market
- China’s ageing population along with an increasing patient population that needs access to care in near-patient settings, are driving growth in point-of-care (POC) diagnostics.
- New clinical guideline recommendations and an increasing number of approved testing parameters will propel new areas of growth in molecular diagnostics (MDx).
- Increasing automation in H&E staining, and regional pathology centres opening up in some Chinese cities will increase demand for workflow solutions and digital pathology, will drive standardisation in testing procedures for tissue diagnostics (TDx).
The fastest-growing areas in China’s IVD market between 2017 to 2022 for key market segments are: critical care (in immunodiagnostics (CDx)), connected blood glucose testing in hospitals (POC diagnostics), genomics (MDx) and special stains (TDx).
4 out of 10 of the biggest players in China’s IVD market are domestic companies.
One of the central challenges of the market for multinationals (MNCs) is the rise of domestic IVD companies. Chinese IVD companies are offering products of increasingly better quality, at a lower-cost.
The fastest-growing IVD companies in China across key market segments are domestic ones.
Chinese IVD companies are hot on the heels of their MNC counterparts.
2017’s fastest-growing companies in each of their respective IVD market segment are domestic companies: Autobio (in immunodiagnostics (CDx)), Getein Biotech (POC diagnostics), AmoyDx (MDx) and Maixin Biotech (TDx).
China’s IVD market: Insights on market and competitors
EIU Healthcare’s IVD Gateway provides insights and analysis on the local market and your competitors across granular market segments that can help you answer key questions to develop and execute a successful growth strategy.
Download EIU Healthcare’s report to find out:
- Where are the top 3 fastest-growing areas in CDx – immunodiagnostics, POC diagnostics, MDx and TDx?
- How fast have China’s IVD companies grown in the local market? How fast are they expanding beyond China?
- How much of China’s IVD market have domestic companies captured in the different segments?
- How sustainable is the growth of domestic IVD companies?
- What are the winning characteristics of 2017’s fastest-growing IVD companies?